April 30, 2019 This email update is being sent to the entire Cal South referee community. New National Requirement All USSF Certified Referees, Instructors, Assessors & Assignors, 18 years of...
The IFAB released the actual language of the changes to the 2019 Laws of the Game. Some of these are going to roil instruction in all of our various associations for the next several seasons.
NOTE: All changes come into force on June 1, 2019. Competitions starting before that date may apply the changes from the start of their competition.
- DBs are now to a single player with all players from both teams 4 meters away—if in the PA, the DB always goes to the GK
- Cards to team officials—examples of warnings, cautions, send offs included
- The ball hitting the ref will often be a DB
- Winner of coin flip can choose to KO
- GKs can no longer throw the ball into opponent’s goal
- Not all handling needs to be deliberate
- “Pass back” modification that if the GK tries unsuccessfully to clear the ball kicked/thrown in to him, can then use hands
- On a cautionable/send-off foul, the ref can permit a quick restart and then later issue the card—but a quick restart on DOGSO downgrades it to a caution
- IFK signal can be dropped once clear cannot score directly
- GKs/FKs in PA in play as soon as kicked and clearly moved
- If a defensive wall has three or more players, opponents must be a meter away.
- On PK, GK must have at least one foot on line an cannot touch frame